Thursday 3 May 2018

Twist and pop up card

Now for something a little more complicated. Actually it looks more difficult than is.   I haven't included a front sentiment because I haven't decided if its going to be a birthday or other occasion card.

 The inside opens up to reveal the pop up panel situated across the middle of the card as shown on the right hand photo



 The construction consists of 3 pieces of cardstock. The base card, a centre strip to pop up and mechanism. The mechanism section as shown here on the left and right hand of this post. The mechanism is scored across the centre strip and then across the the centre of the piece to create a cross. The side panels and folded into the centre to fold the whole piece to look like the right hand photo.

The centre strip is a simple rectangle scored to create 4 panels with 2 valley and 1 mountain fold. This makes up the pop up section.

The  panel ends are adhered to the middle flaps of the mechanism, one panel on the top half of the right hand strip and the other on the bottom left of the opposite strip.  The pieces can be decorated with patterned paper prior to assembling the whole card. Finally I lined up and adhered the mechanism to the card base.

A really good website giving more detailed instructions with measurements can be found HERE 

 

 I have created a template cutting file for this card to ensure measurements are consistent and accurate.The template include all measurements. It just means I don't have to measure and cut every time I want to make this style of card. This time I chose not to use the machine to create the score line. Instead I used my bone folder and score board. I thought the fold lines might be stronger  that way. You can download the zip file  for the template HERE. The file is in studio, svg and pvgc formats.


BLOOPERS! 
This is why I found this card a bit of a challenge. It all worked out well on the prototype so I went ahead and made the actual card using my patterned paper.

Mistake 1.  I made, was to  adhere the patterned paper upside down on to top section of the mechanism so the planes, trains etc were the wrong way up. Never mind, I thought, it will still work OK.
Mistake 2. I  stamped the transport, compass etc a onto card and adhered them to each panel strip and edged with Distress Ink ( Pine Needles). I then added the panels to the mechanism. Blow me down if I didn't make the same mistake again and found the panels were upside down. I pulled the panel off without doing too much damage and corrected my error. Phew! it looked OK.
Mistake 3. I didn't line up the mechanism close enough to the centre fold of the base card prior to sticking the pieces together hence the card would not completely open. By this time I'd lost the will to live! However not prepared to be beaten I made the card again, this time it worked perfectly! Yay!

 This is the other twist and pop up card I've made. The stamp is Stampin Up "Beautiful You Dancing Girl" I cut the lettering  with my Cameo 3 machine. I then heat embossed it with Holographic embossing powder. I finished off with pearls on the front cover.



No comments:

Post a Comment